The skin under and around your eyes is some of the thinnest and most delicate skin on the body. So it’s no surprise that the under eye area is particularly prone to developing bags, puffiness, and dark circles. In most cases, under eye skin issues are cosmetic and nothing to worry about. Keep reading to uncover common causes and solutions for bags, puffiness, and dark circles.
What Causes Under Eye Bags, Puffiness, and Dark Circles?
The causes of under eye bags, puffiness, and dark circles vary from person to person. Both external and genetic factors can play a role – for example, if dark under eye circles run in your family, you may be prone to developing them as well. Other causes of under eye skin issues include:
- Fatigue or inadequate sleep
- Sun exposure
In most cases, under eye bags or dark circles are a cosmetic issue and not medically harmful. And for many of the causes listed above, solutions can be found at home. Keep reading to learn our simple at-home remedies to treat under eye bags, puffiness, and dark circles.
At-Home Eye Care Remedies
- Apply a cool compress. Wrap a few ice cubes in a clean cloth or wet a washcloth under cool water and apply to your eyes. The cold will cause blood vessels to constrict and reduce under eye puffiness and swelling. We recommend using chilled cucumber slices (yes – that old wives tale is true!). Cucumbers have anti-inflammatory properties to soothe redness and swelling, as well as high water content to hydrate dry skin.
- Place tea bags over your eyes. Soak caffeinated tea bags in water before placing them over your eyes. Caffeine constricts blood vessels to reduce puffiness and redness and it also contains powerful healing antioxidants to soothe the sensitive skin. We recommend using green tea bags, because green tea also has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Invest in a good eye cream. As you age, your skin naturally produces less collagen and elastin, the proteins responsible for giving your skin shape and structure. The skin under your eyes will start to sag, bag, and wrinkle. We recommend using dedicated eye creams with retinoids or Vitamin C, both of which aid in collagen production and will help your under eye skin look firmer, tighter, and fresher.
- Wear sunscreen every day. Because the skin around your eyes is extremely fragile and thin, the under eye area is one of the first places to show signs of aging. Radiation from the sun can cause premature wrinkles, brown spots, discoloration, and dark circles. We recommend using a daily facial moisturizer with added SPF for a double dose of hydration and sun protection.
- Practice self-care. The skin under your eyes is a good indicator of how well you’ve been taking care of yourself recently. To reduce under eye swelling, puffiness, bags, and dark circles, make space in your life for self-care measures.
- Get adequate sleep – aim for at least 7-8 hours a night. Tiredness and fatigue can contribute to the appearance of dark circles and bags under the eyes.
- Drink enough water. Dehydrated skin around the eyes may look thin, papery, and dark.
- Eat a balanced, nutritious diet filled with fresh, whole foods. Eating too much sodium leads to fluid retention, which may cause the skin under your eyes to look puffy.
- Take off your makeup and wash your face every night before bed. Caked-on makeup that lingers on the skin can cause irritation, redness, rashes, breakouts, and infections.
- Don’t forget to moisturize. The skin around your eyes is thinner than other areas of your body and doesn’t retain moisture as well. You can use a gentle facial moisturizer for the skin under your eyes, or a moisturizer specifically designed for eye care.
When to Schedule a Session With Ageless Allure Medispa
If your eyes are in need of a little extra TLC, we encourage you to explore our selection of skin rejuvenating facials and chemical peels, which can help tighten skin, improve skin tone, reduce redness and puffiness, and hydrate the delicate under eye skin.
For the month of March, Ageless Allure Medispa is offering a special toning and tightening facial treatment that includes a green tea milk wash, an avocado revitalizing mask, and an eye serum to hydrate and soften your skin. Don’t miss your chance to take advantage of this special deal! Call us today at 863-292-2317 to schedule your appointment.